Monday 2 August 2010

Stroke Recovery: Further Milestones

My progress continues to be remarkable. It's only 12 weeks since my stroke, and two weeks ago the physio's taught me how to get in and out of the car, and last week they taught me how to climb a stair - but I've only practiced on one step.

Well, yesterday afternoon I went to visit my daughter's new flat which is on the ground floor. What I didn't know was that it has 3 steps outside. Well, I walked up the steps! There was a hairy moment, but I did it. In the flat, the wheelchair wouldn't go in the bathroom when I had the tour, so I got out and walked into the bathroom and back. And then when we left, I walked down the steps, which is the first time I've walked down.

Added to this is that every time I go out I walk from the front room out of the front door onto the path and sit in my wheelchair, and back when I come home. Yesterday I came back, grabbed a few minutes rest and then went out again.

After twelve weeks, I went to church! Michael came too, and he hasn't been to church either because he has been too exhausted with visiting me and looking after me. I got quite emotional, because it was so lovely to be in church after the way God has looked after me - which was a problem because one of the effects of the stroke is that I can't control my emotions. I can't have a little giggle or shed a little tear, I go completely to pieces. Luckily I managed to stop before I made too much noise!

I hadn't thought what effect it would have on the people in church to see me there. Everyone has been praying for me, and I am in the notices for prayer every week. So when I arrived there was great rejoicing at the evidence of prayers answered. It was lovely to see them and to bring such a blessing.

Who knows what next!

No comments: