Friday 23 July 2010

Stroke Recovery: Escape From The House

I have escaped from the house! We went for a drive to Mumbles today and parked on the sea front and had an ice cream. It was so good to go out, and it was relatively easy.

The weather finally stayed fine for the physiotherapists' visit yesterday, and they taught me how to negotiate the sill at the front door, and how to get in and out of the car. And I managed to walk to the front door and back!

The secret is to put the wheelchair outside the front door, rather than trying to negotiate it over the sill with me in it. I walk to the front door and just need help to get my right foot over the sill, then I turn round and sit in the wheelchair. The secret to getting in the car is to get out of the wheelchair and turn backwards to the car and sit down. Then I have help to get my feet in.

We are now making plans for where we want to go. And as you can see, my walking is getting more confident. Praise God!

No comments: