Sunday 24 January 2010

Blinded by the Light 22 The Need To See - The Solution

The wonderful thing about Christianity is that God's promises are written down, so we can be sure of them. We do not need to see instant results or signs to know that He is faithful to His promises.

The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving to all he has made. (Psalm 145:13b)

Spend more time studying these promises and remember the times in the past when God has answered your prayers and those of others, and especially where things have worked out very differently to what you hoped for, but were still for your benefit.

If you have been living with 'the need to see', it can be hard to let go. Life can seem uncertain and unsafe. You need to retrain yourself away from this and get back to the solid foundations of promises whose outcome you cannot see, but you can believe in. As a simple example, many years ago, when I moved from a very charismatic church to a more formal one, I found it hard to worship without getting excited and jumping around and getting a 'buzz'. One day in church I clearly felt the message "Their worship is just as acceptable to me." I was reminded of the scripture that man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart, and looked at the hearts of those in church around me and realised that truth. It was a growing experience for me to learn to worship God in stillness too.

In the Truth part of this topic I mentioned that the Psalms are full of cries that God seems to have turned away, leaving them to trust in His promises. Here are some of their responses. May your life respond in this way too.

My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word. (Psalm 119:81)

Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them… Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands are my delight. (Psalm 119:140, 143)


Previous posts in this series:
Introduction
Legalism: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Magic Formulas: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Answers to Everything: The Truth,The Trap, The Solution
Scripture Twisting: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Superstition: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Elitism: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
The Need to See: The Truth, The Trap
Further posts to come in this series:
Conclusion

No comments: