Monday 20 April 2009

Blinded by the Light 11 Scripture Twisting - The Truth

As a Christian the Bible means a lot to me. It has been my companion for years. I have learned that its words are God's Word, its commands his will, its perspective on life the only true one. Of course, it has puzzled me with its enigmas and the depth of its insight. I am often frustrated by what I believe God is demanding of me through the words on its pages. it encourages me, but it breaks me. It thrills me and it frightens me.

“But one thing it does not do: it does not come to me in such a way that I can pick and choose what to hold as true or false. As a Christian I find myself under its authority.” (Scripture Twisting by James W. Sire, p.10)

All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim.3:16-17)

Jesus told his followers to search the scriptures, and this is a key element in the life of a Christian. Within their pages is the word of God and the truths of the gospel. But the Bible is not like an instruction manual, with everything set out plainly in logical order. We must be careful in the way we interpret what we read.


Previous posts in this series:

Introduction
Legalism: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Magic Formulas: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Answers to Everything: The Truth,The Trap, The Solution
Further posts to come in this series:
Scripture Twisting: The Trap, The Solution
Superstition: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Elitism: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
The Need to See: The Truth, The Trap, The Solution
Conclusion

No comments: