Saturday 9 October 2010

Scribbling Saturday: NaNoWriMo

I have just signed up for NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. Click the title for the web site. The idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month, November. It works out at about 1700 words a day. I always said if I had time, I would write. Now, I have no excuse.

The idea is just to write. No judgement, no editing, no checking. Just write. You are allowed to plan - outline, chapters, character studies. But you do all the actual writing in November. I figure that even if I don't succeed, I will have several thousand words of a new novel.

I am going to write a new Kestrel novel. I think it will give me a head start to use existing characters. For those who don't know, the Kestrel is a fast response spaceship with a crew of twelve, which works for the Planetary Alliance for Cooperation and Trade. I have written two novels which are in various stages of editing. Whether any of them will ever be good enough to publish, but I have lots of fun writing them.

In the past I have written in fits and starts with very little planning, so the whole exercise will be good discipline for me. I am using October to plan, so wish me luck. Anyone who also wants to get involved, do leave me your details so we can encourage each other.

No comments: