Thursday 4 March 2010

Thinking Thursday: Brother Lawrence

The Bible tells us that we should do everything to the glory of God, but that presents a real challenge. How can you change a dirty nappy to the glory of God? Or wash the dishes? Fill in your own job. Well, over three hundred years ago there was a monk who figured it out. His name was Brother Lawrence:

"At the beginning of my duties I would say to the Lord with confidence, 'My God, since you are with me, and since, by Your will, I must occupy myself with external things, please grant me the grace to remain with You, in Your presence. Work with me so that my work might be the very best. Receive as an offering of love both my work and all my affections.'

During my work, I would always continue to speak to the Lord as though He were right with me, offering Him my services and thanking Him for His assistance. At the end of my work, I used to examine it carefully. If I found good in it, I thanked God. If I noticed faults, I asked His forgiveness without being discouraged, and then went on with my work, still dwelling in Him.

Thus, continuing in this practice of conversing with God throughout each day, and quickly seeking His forgiveness when I fell or strayed, His presence has become as easy and natural to me now as it once was difficult to attain."
(The Practice of the Presence of God)

No comments: