Sunday 25 January 2009

Reasons For Going

I was delighted to be able to go to church last week because it was a communion service. I was upset today because I wasn't able to go. So why is it important to me?

The reasons have changed over the years. When I first became a Christian, if I didn't get my 'fix' on Sunday, I found it hard to make it through the week. Since then I have learned to develop my relationship with God so that I am not so reliant on other people to do it for me. But I still need to go to church as often as I can.

Apart from the command to not stop meeting together, there is something in corporate worship that you can't get any other way. And it's not just what you get, but what you give - together. And I don't just mean singing. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." That's easier to say than do, but much easier in church.

One of the purposes of meeting together is to lift and encourage each other. Another is fellowship. I have had some very lonely times as a Christian recently, and the company is such a blessing. I hope I can be a blessing to them too. To be able to sing with a whole crowd who love the Lord like you do, to pray together, and to listen to a sermon that applies to your life, is truly wonderful. That's why I am sad when I don't go.

So Church, heartfelt thanks.

No comments: