Saturday 13 November 2010

Scribbling Saturday: yWriter software

This is a fabulous piece of software written by a writer especially for writing novels. It would be worth paying for, but it's free to download. (Click the title to go straight there.)

Create your chapters and split each chapter into scenes. Each scene has a description, which is your outline, and content, which is your actual writing. Keep records of your characters, locations and items and assign them to each scene so you can keep track of what appears where.

Record details for each scene of how much humour, tension etc., point of view, goals, timeline and set the status to outline, 1st edit etc., to keep track of your progress. Reports give you the synopsis in various forms and daily writing targets.

Since I discovered it, I have used nothing else for my writing, and I am writing my NaNoWriMo novel on it, after planning the outline scene by scene last month. Heartily recommended.

No comments: