Thursday 13 November 2008

Weekend Away

Last weekend I went away with my new church, Pantygwydr Baptist Church. I thought it would be a good idea to get to know people better. It really worked. I will feel much more comfortable going to church in future, now that I know a few people.

We went away to a Christian centre in mid Wales called Cefn Lea. We stayed in chalets and had to walk to the main building for food and activities - which was a bit rough when it rained! But there was good food and lots of fun and games, and I had a great time.

Unfortunately, the roads are so narrow that although it was only 90 miles, it took 3 hours to get there. By Sunday when we came home I was already tired, and we had another 3 hour journey, but this time through the worst storm I have ever seen. The rain came down in sheets, hammering so hard on the car roof we could hardly talk, and visibility was only a few yards in the dark. There was sheet lightning, and we drove through 4 floods, which was scary. I was so impressed with the driver - she was marvellous. By the time I got home I was exhausted. I was already stressed out before I went, because of work, so I had to ring in sick on Monday.

Having said that, it was definitely worth it. Because of my health, I don't get to church and housegroup very often. This has made it difficult to feel like I belong. This weekend helped a lot. They are a really friendly, caring bunch.

No comments: